Sunday, January 14, 2007

Proper Conditioning

The continuous rain spolit the morning, when we wake up and was looking forward for another great day ahead. The usual walk was cancelled due to rain, and we are left at home playing retrieving balls. We did some little climbing up staircase too since it is raining.

I have been reading up on proper conditioning of dogs as I am very much in concern of how to get Ben to his tip top shape. This is a greatest area that I would focus on to be a kind of love to Ben. Conditioning the dog should be done with good planning and handling. This is not just only the dog, it applies to the owner as well.

As an owner, I must know how to gear the dog up thru his stages of development. Conditioning should be applied to both physical and mental development of the dog. The following site give a good overview on proper conditioning - http://members.aol.com/ktbrit/conditioning.html

As it was mentioned, fitness of the dog both physically and mentally, much like an athlete in his prime. The dog must be in good muscle-tone, muscles should be rock-hard, not spongy and soft, and able to feel his ribs easily without having to push down and feel around for them. With above in mind, I always work towards a correct balance between good nutrition, amount of food, and exercise with depending on his activity level. From very short distance walks (less then 1km) once a day, till twice a day covering the same distance, we move towards a distance of 3km daily once a day. Ben is still a puppy and I do not wish to push him too hard. At 3km, he is doing well now. The pace is very much kept at fast walking pace without much running, unless the distance is to be shorter. I do keep an eye on his reaction, his panting. He has also learnt about keeping in pace with me, and learning the command "stand" very well.

Having understand more into the physical aspect of conditioning. The mental development still need more effort to work on it. With socialising the puppy in mind, I long setup most plans for him to meet this world of different situation, crowded streets of human, human of different sex, height, size, moving cars, buses with loud noise, bicycles coming from any direction, roller blades, all kind of situation he may face in his life. A Miniature schnauzer should mentally willing to accept whatever comes his way, either passively or aggressively, should be afraid of nothing. Ben does display kind of uncertainess in certain situations. In his life or in this urban city, there are still many situation for him to face. This is a continuous program that I will be still working on to get his 100% confidence.

I know this is not just bring a dog out and let him see the world, it involves time, patient and very importantly - proper handling (when to give a positive reinforcement, when to shutup, when to let him be, when to praise him). However, my knowledge is still very limited in area.